4th, April 2013
by Thomas Weiﬂwange
- Guitarrist )
This is HUMAN PREY and they comes from
Leipzig, Germany. We had a chat with Thomas who kindly
answered to all our questions about the beginning of the
band, the realization of their first demo and other relevant
aspects of HUMAN PREY`s career!
1. Hails Thomas, first tell us how how difficult was stablish the band and how so you decided to play Grindcore Death metal?
We know each other for a lot of years. And we are metal fans and played Instruments.
So we had to Form a band.
The biggest problem in our hometown is to find a room, to play. When we startet we were all still in school and didn't have any money.
In Oktober/November 2010 we found our first room. In the beging we hab 2 small.Amps and a fridge in there. Nobody took us serious. It was just fun and beer.
And the music just came the way it came. We started to write Songs, just the way we like it. So we still do.
And our favourite Bands are e.g. Dying Fetus, Ingested and Benighted. So we tried to make such musik.
2. What are the most memorable memories would you extract from your early days?
We played our very first and unofficial show in the garden of an friend..it was a weekend with some Bands, tents and beer. We
totally ruined it. We just had 3 Songs. Childhood, shizophrenic suicide and raped in the pit.
We had to start the Last.song again and played it naked.
As I.said, no one took.us serious. So we didnt anyway.
Our first Show have been pretty nice. We organized it and played.in.front of.about 100 people and they totally freaked out. We have had two ambulances and a great respawn.
Then everything happend pretty fast and we played our 5th Show at the in flammen open Air. With Bands like obituary and crowbar. This was pretty amazing for us.
3. Could you tell us something about the realization of your very first official release "May the Hunt Begin...", how was the recording process and how much did it surpassed your expectations? Would you change something on it?
We met some guys at the lokal brewery fest.
They told us that they are about to start their mobile recording studio. We wanted to have something to show fans and organisators. And the biggest plus, it was Not extensiv. So they came to us and we recorded our Demo in 2 days. It was Kind id hard, but a lot of fun, with 2 great guys and lots of beer. Again.
Then a friend of us made the artwork we released it.
At that Moment we totally loved it. The sound isn't perfekt but I guess enough for a demo.
Our biggest Problem is, that we changed our Style meanwhile a little bit.(we'll record a promo and our first Album this year. So you will new stuff in some weeks)
4. THis is the point where I wanted to arrive, artwork, I think is a very nice piece, who made these drawing and which is the concept on these graphics? How much importance do you think have the artworks in equilibrium with the music?
Thanks man. A friend of us made it. He also made our logo.
We wanted it to show humans as prey. In death/grind music are zombies a normal theme.
So we thought it fits perfekt. The.insperation for the style was in the mainpoint aboted's artworks.
For a kot of people the artwork is the first thing they See, it they dont know your music. So it has to show, what you can expect.
5. However I have to complain about the matter this is the only release you have at the moment, which is the main reason for that? Are you currently in process of preparing some new opus?
We played a lot of Shows and got a new drummer. So we didn't have q lot of time to write new stuff. But now we have 5 new songs. We will record a promo 2013 im the next week and around Fall/Winter our first
6. Pick a song from the demo, that you feel to be the most interesting lyrically, musically or having a good story about it and tell me about it.
I think 19 crippled years has a nice Story. We we wrote it about one week befor our first Show, because we had just 4 till then. We just took the Most grindy riffs, and wrote it in about 30 minutes. We tried to make it sound as stupid as posible. It should just have been for this concert. But everybody liked it, because its great to dance to, or what ever, so we still play it.
7. German bands are taking over the scene in good way. How do you feel about German scene? Would you change anything about scene there or scenes around the world?
I guess we have a very big and nice scene around here.
In almost every region you'll find metalheads, and in average they will be your friends, at least for this evening.
The biggest problem that I see is the cut between the "underground" and the "mainstream". I think everybody can listen, what he wants and the others should stop bitching around.
But we have some organizers, that buy festivals and turn Them all into the same shit. Nice Bands, but every year the same. No Undergroundsupport. A lot of "kiddies". Just making money.
8. Let´s talk about the live aspect of HUMAN PREY, What do you usually expect from the audience on concerts? Is there anything special you really your fans to do?
I guess like every Band we want the people to freak out. Nothing Special. Just the normal stuff like headbanging and moshpits. But its great if you play the first time in any City, and you see, that some guys know your songs allready.
9. What would do you define as the Quintessence of Grindcore/Death metal? Is the only motive to play as fast and brutal as possible, or is there more behind it?
I think brutality is more important, then speed. More
interesting play aggressive and groovy and still have your own attitude then just Sound like all the blast monsters.
That doesn't mean that I dont like such Bands or blastparts, but its not the Kind of.music I want to play.
10. Do you think Death Metal is the best way to send out HUMAN PREY's message? Are there any other actions you might take to spread the plague? Are any members involved in other musical projects?
I don't.know if there really is a message...
We aren't one if those bands, who try to change the world. Its just making music we love, for people who love it.
At the moment there are no sideprojects, but I want to Start a gore/slam band during the year. Im just looking for some musicans to ne Part of it.
11. Maybe you would now at the end reveal some details about the future plans for HUMAN PREY and your personal goals. How far would you like to go with the band?
Our next goals are to play a lot of Shows and produce our Album. Maybe to get a label or somenthing. We'll see how far we will get. If its possible to earn enough money, it would ne cool, but that isn't our reason to play.
12.OK man, I would like to thank you for your time and help, please add some words to the end of this interview.
It was a plesure. Thank you for this possibility