14th, April 2013
Woodward - Guitars )
Are you looking for a very talented and
unique Thrash band?? This is what they perform, coming from
Denver, Colorado I am proud to present you to BATTLESPAWN,
you will definitely be trapped for this great riffs.....
1. Hails Weston, thanks for this opportunity, let´s start by going back to your early days. You are a relatively young band. Which was the idea to found BATTLESPAWN and which former bands you play in?
It is my pleasure to be a part of this opportunity. I absolutely love what you guys do. It is just awesome!
BattleSpawn was originally thought of after the demise of my last band cadillacula. Cadillacula was a psychobilly band, and while it was fun, I missed playing heavy music.
So in a way, battlespawn was a return to my roots.
2. There is alot of thrash metal bands coming now here and there, in which way do you think BATTLESPAWN differs from all these newcomers and what you have to offer into the thrash camp?
You know it has been great to see the revival in the thrash scene. There are many fantastic bands carrying the torch forward. From my perspective, we differ in sound from a lot. I think this is partly due to the various types of musical backgrounds everyone in the band brings.
This allows us to pay tribute to all the great bands that have influenced us, while at the same time forging our own unique path.
3. Let´s talk about your recently released "Evil Rising" EP. I am really impressed by the
interesting mixture of different musical shapes you been able to joint. We can even find a rock and roll-ish track on it. What is your main idea at the time you compose and write your music and which is your favourite track?
Thanks! The writing process has been an interesting pursuit for me. It usually starts with me just jamming on a riff while warming up for practice. I'll find one or two ideas based off of that and build from there.
Sometimes I'll make a conscious decision to have a type of part included in the song (like a slow bridge for example), but for the most part it is fairly organic. Once I get an idea I run with it.
As for my favorite track, it is a tough call!
"Fight it" is probably my favorite overall. It nails the sound I was looking for. Zombie Bride has my favorite solo that I performed and Arturius was the most fun to write and arrange.
4. I have noticed this Ep had been released in 2 forms, a regular Ep version and a limited Bootlegs edition, Am I correct?? Tell us deeper about this please?
Our original intent was just to have the regular EP release, but we wanted it to be special. We had an amazing local artist Chris Watts work on drawing up the cover design for us. In the meantime, there was a fairly big demand for a physical copy of the EP and we wanted to provide fans with something they could take home and listen to.
So the bootleg edition was born to meet this demand. It was printed on recycled cardstock and hand folded for a personal touch.
5. Yes, but I have also noticed you used a different cover arwork for the EP primarily, and then you are using the artwork (and the same title) done for Chris to announce the coming full lengh album. One again, am I correct?
The blood splatter cover is actually the CD artwork itself, Chris' artwork is for the actual packaging. So in a way you are correct. We have plans to go back into the studio soon and record some new material.
6. Huh yeah. and now is time to talk about your live performances. Do you have serious opportunities to
play over there in Denver. How often do you play in live?
There are many great venues in Denver that are friendly to metal bands. We have had many opportunities to play which helps us increase exposure and get better and better. We aim to play out at least once a month, sometimes more.
We are also currently working on planning a short tour.
7. How you manage to transfer the violence and force of your Thrash Metal on stage? What is the special thing on a BattleSpawn show?
The biggest part of our live show is our love of the music and the scene. It is what drives us. We try and put on a great show for everyone, have fun on stage, and bring a lot of energy. Our vocalist Mike has a great stage presence that everyone feeds off of. We also strive to be humble and accessible to fans. There is nothing more that I enjoy than meeting people and interacting with the fans.
8. I always enjoy hearing what life is like outside of a band. What can you share with us about what your lives are like outside of the bands? Wives, kids, jobs, hobbies?
For me personally, I am married to my lovely wife Stephanie and together we have a son who's three. I was working full time in the National Guard but a few months ago decided to go back to school and limit my soldiering to once a month. I am studying classical and jazz guitar. I also enjoy playing soccer and following my favorite team West Ham United.
Our drummer Gabe and other guitarist Gianni both have daughters. Everybody has day jobs. Mike, our vocalist, works construction and bartends. Gianni is an audio tech at a hospital. Gabe is a mechanic, and Jason, our new bass player, is a talent buyer for a local promotion company. Gabe is the only other one with a steady girl.
9. For you, what are the differences between today´s thrash metal scene and the old school legions ?
What I find so amazing is that many of the old school guys are still showing us how it is done which is fantastic.
Now and people tend to stick to one or another. Metal is metal and I'd love to see more cross genre support be it doom, thrash, power metal etc
10. What are your goals in making music? Would you like to perform in some big events someday or are you making music just for pleasure?
I think it is a combination of both. It has to be fun first and foremost. That being said, I am very driven and want to see how far we can go. I would absolutely love to be a part of some of the big festivals or tours one day.
11. What kind of music do you listen to at home? Is it the same kind of music, that you play yourself or completely different things?
I have very eclectic tastes. I absolutely love thrash and listen to it often, but I also enjoy listening to jazz (especially bebop), classical, rockabilly, outlaw country, punk, and hardcore.
12. Weston, thanks a lot for your answers, I wish you all the best and good luck my friend! Please, tell your closing words!
I would like to thank you again for the opportunity! It has been a pleasure to be a part of this. We look forward to working with you all in the future!