at: 09th, April 2014
Diaboli is a black metal band from Hellas. Using Old Fashion
Black Metal and melodic elements. They started with raw and
powerful musical elements and then added some depressive
suicidal ambient elements."
Hails friends, you are a relatively young band, however since your formation in 2012 you have released several demos and Albums. How you see this very productive evolution?
HAIL MY FRIEND. ADVENTUM DIABOLI IS A NEW BAND IN THE GREEK SCENE OF BLACK METAL. THE BAND WAS FOUND IN 2012
BY LEVIATHAN AND MEPHISTO, THE FIRST VOCALIST/BASSIST AND KEYBOARDIST OF THE
BAND. WE STARTED TO RECORD OUR SONGS VERY SOON AND EARLY IN 2012 ''LIES OF PRIEST''
WAS RELEASED. AFTER THIS ALBUM WE HAVE MORE IDEAS AND PASSION FOR WORK AND WE RELEASE ''LUCIFERIUM''
MEANWHILE OF THE CREATION OF RISE OF THE PAGANS, ''BIG MISTAKE TO BREAK THE SEVENTH SEAL''WAS RELEASED WITH REHEARSAL TRACKS
FROM PREVIOUS ALBUMS. AS LONG AS WE HAVE MORE IDEAS AND PASSION WITH THIS, WE WILL NEVER STOP PRODUCING
MUSIC. I REALLY LIKE THIS PRODUCING EVOLUTION AS WE GREW AS MUSICIANS AND BAND.
2. Speaking of your latest album “Rise Of The Pagans”, tell us something more about it, where it was recorded, mixed and mastered? Did the final product surpass your expectations?
RISE OF THE PAGANS IS BASED ON HELLENIC PAGANISM (THE TRUE RELEGION OF OUR COUNTRY). IT'S AN ATMOPSHERIC DARK AND RAW
ALBUM WITH SOME ADDITIONAL ELEMENTS IN OUR MUSIC. THE LYRICAL THEME IS PAGANISM AND ANTICHRISTIANISM.THE ALBUM WAS
RECORDED,MIXED AND MASTERED WITH OUR OWN EQUIPMENT BY LEVIATHAN, AND WHEN ALL THE PROCCESS DONE IT WAS EXACTLY WHAT WE EXPECTED.
DARK, RAW AND RITUALISTIC.
3. I am curious to know more things about your early days. It was difficult for you to get well established on your local scene?
THE EARLY DAYS OF ADVENTUM DIABOLI STARTED WITH TRULY ANTICHRISTIANIC THEMES.THE FIRST ALBUM WAS CALLED 'LIES OF THE PRIEST' AND IT'S CLEARLY
SATANIC,RAW,AND BLASPHEMIC. YOU CAN SEE ALSO THE COVER PICTURING ONE OF THE CHURCHES OF OUR
CITY. HOWEVER, IT WAS HARD FOR THE COMMUNITY TO ACCEPT
EXTREME MUSIC HERE AND WE SUFFERED A ''MUSICAL RACISM''. AS A RESULT WE WERE ONE STEP BEFORE THE END IN THE FIRST 4 MONTHS. BUT WE
CONTINUE STRONGER WITH MORE IDEAS AND MATERIAL. WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU, IT MAKES YOU STRONGER.
4. Do you have serious opportunities for live shows in Greece? What have been the best and worst live experiences you've had?
YES WE HAVE SOME GOOD OPPORTUNITIES BUT IN OUR TOWN OUR MUSIC IS CONSIDERED TOO EXTREME SO WE CAN'T PROCCED IN ANY LIVE SHOWS THERE UNFORTUNATELY,
BUT IN THE SUMMER WE CONSIDER TO GIVE THE FIRST LIVE SHOW IN ANOTHER CITY OF GREECE. APART FROM THAT IN OUR SHORT PERIOD WE HAD MANY LINE UP CHANGED
WHICH STOOD AS ANOTHER OBSTACLE FOR A LIVE SHOW..
5. You play a very antonishing way of black metal in my opinion. I can find several melodic elements, as well as raw/aggressive mixed with some majestic depressive and suicidal moments. How would you describe ADVENTUM DIABOLI as a whole?
ADVENTUM DIABOLI IS DEDICATED TO OLD SCHOOL BLACK METAL LIKE
BURZUM, MAYHEM, DARKTHRONE, CELTIC FROST ETC. THROUGH THE TIME
WE DECIDED TO ADD MORE ELEMENTS WITHOUT LEAVING THE OLD SCHOOL
SOUND. OUR MUSIC BECAME MORE AMBIENT AND RITUALISTIC WITHOUT
ESCAPING FROM THE RAW AND AGGRESSIVE SOUND.WE FOCUS IN THE POWERFULL,DEPRESSIVE AND MELODIC GUITAR RIFFS AND BLAST BEATS WITH
AMBIENT, ATMOSPHERIC KEYBOARDS AND DYNAMIC VOCALS WITH OUR NEW VOCALIST
CHARON (RISE OF THE PAGANS).
6. Are there any certain religious or philosophical beliefs within the band? What are your attitudes towards fans that like your music but do not have your ideals?
WELL WE ARE CLEARLY AGAINST ANY ORGANIZED
RELIGION. OUR BELIEFS ARE ANTI-CHRISTIAN. WE ARE FREE PEOPLE WITH OUR OWN MINDS
AND OPINIONS. IF ANYONE WANTS TO CALL US SATANISTS FOR THIS BELEIEFS AND MEAN THIS THINGS, I SAY THEN YES WE ARE SATANISTS.
NOW THE THING THAT MATTERS FOR US IS OUR FANS AND FANS OF THIS MUSIC
GENERALLY. WE ARE PLEASED WHEN THEY LIKE OUR WORK ,OUR
MUSIC, AND SHARE OUR PASSION. WE DON'T CARE SO MUCH IF OUR FANS HAVE THE SAME BELIEFS; WE ARE WHAT WE ARE WE DO WHAT WE DO AND THATS IT.SOME PEOPLE NEED
TO SEE BEYOND THE BELIEFS OF THE BAND MEMBERS AND LISTEN TO THEIR MUSIC.
7. What music format do you prefer the most; vinyl, CD, or cassettes? Do you think it is really good to release one album in these three mentioned formats?
AS A PURE UNDERGOURND BAND WE PREFER THE OLD FORMATS SUCH US VINYL AND CASSETTES.ALL OUR RELEASES ARE INDEED IN CD FORMAT BUT
WE HAVE RELEASED LUCIFERIUM THE SECOND ALBUM IN CASSETTE FORMAT BY INFERNAL COMMANDO RECORDS AND WE TRY TO MAKE A RELEASE IN A VINYL SOON.
THE CASSETTE IS AVAILABLE ONLY IN 43 COPIES. NOW OUR NEW WORK WILL BE RELEASED IN CD BUT WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO MAKE A ''RETRO'' RELEASE (TAPE.VINYL)
8. I always enjoy hearing what life is like outside of a band. What can you share with us about what your lives are like outside of the bands? Wives, kids, jobs, hobbies?
WELL AS FAR AS OUR LIVES ARE CONCERNED, WE ENJOY SPORTS
(SUCH AS FOOTBALL AND MARTIAL ARTS),TRIPS, LIVE SHOWS, AND MOSTLY HANGING OUT ALL
TOGETHER! WE TRY TO BE A FAMILY!
WE HAVE GIRLFRIENDS, WE GO OUT FOR BEERS. WE SPEND A LOT OF TIME
TOGETHER. BESIDES SOME MEMBERS STUDY AT THE UNIVERSITY,OTHER WORK AND OTHER HAVE ARMY DUTIES.
9. In your opinion, how much did the black metal scene change compared to the late '80-s/early '90-s?
WELL BLACK METAL BEGUN WITH REALLY LO'FI RECORDINGS AND SONGS BASED MORE ON SPEED AND BRUTALITY RATHER THAN TECHNIQUE BY BANDS LIKE HELLHAMMER AND VENOM.
AS WE PROGRESS TECHINQUE IMPROVES , SLOW,HEAVY AND OCCULT SONGS ENTER THE GAME (MAYHEM, DARKTHRONE,ETC) AND WHITE-BLACK ARTWORKS MAINTAIN. YEAH I THINK THE 80'S
TILL MID 90'S WAS THAT WAY GENERALLY-ANTICHRISTIANIC THEMES, NOT THE PERFECT SOUND, EXTREME LIVE SHOWS,DEATH, VIOLENCE AND OCCULTISM!! THAT WERE THE ERA DUDE!
THE LATEST YEARS BAND IMPROVED THE RECORDINGS REALLY MUCH, COLOURED ARTWORKS CAME AND FOR SURE BLACK METAL GOT MORE AND MORE FANS AND MAYBE STOPPED BEING
CONSIDERED SO ANTISOCIAL AS AT FIRST (I DIDN'T LIVE THOSE YEARS, BUT AS A BAND WE PREFER THE FIRST!\m/)
10. What would you consider the hardest part about playing in an Underground band?
WHEN PLAYING IN AN UNDERGROUND BAND, YOU CANNOT ENJOY LIVE SHOWS OF A HUGE AUDIENCE AND CERTAINLY THE MONEY IN NOT MUCH AT ALL..PLUS, WE THINK SOCIETY
DEALS WITH YOU IN A KINDA OFFENSING WAY AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE THE 'PRIVILAGE' TO GET TREATED LIKE A
'ROCKSTAR'. HOWEVERE, WE CHOSE THAT PATH CAUSE MAYBE THERE ARE NOT SO MANY FANS OF IT, BUT THESE THAT EXIST ARE APPRECIATE REALLY MUCH THE EFFORT OF THE BANDS. WE TOTALLY SUPPORT OUR NOT MANY BUT DEDICATED
SUPPORTERS AND WE WISH OUR MUSIC TO GET SPREADED MORE!
11. No more questions my friend. Just thanks for your time and good luck for your future plans. Closing is yours…
ITS MY PLEASURE TO GIVE THIS INTERVIEW TO YOU THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY MY
FRIEND. ADVENTUM DIABOLI IS A NEW BAND WITH PASSION AND DEDICATION TO BLACK METAL.WE WORK HARD TO ENSTABLISH OUR NAME IN THE BLACK METAL SCENE.WE WONT DISSAPOINT YOU.
THANK YOU AGAIN.KEEP THE BLACK METAL FIRE ALIVE \m/